Skip to main content

The Muslim Ban and the Federal Court Order

This morning I read the Washington federal judge's 7-page order regarding the Muslim ban. (It's always better to go to the source than to rely on second-hand accounts.) It's pretty straightforward but still quite remarkable. To justify the order, the court had to find, among other things, that the states (the State of Minnesota joined the State of Washington in the lawsuit) had shown a likelihood that they would win the case on the merits (i.e., that the executive order is unconstitutional), and that they would be irreparably harmed if the order did not issue. These are standards familiar to all litigators. A temporary restraining order (TRO) is emergency relief that usually stays in place only for a few days until the court can hold a more substantive hearing on a motion for preliminary injunction, which can stay in place for a much longer period, usually until the case goes to trial months or years later. So at the TRO stage, judges tend to focus on the question of whether preserving the status quo is truly an emergency that can't wait for the full-blown hearing. Judge Robart found both that the states had shown that they were likely to succeed in proving the unconstitutionality of the order, and that they would suffer irreparable harm without it. Here is what he said on that last point:
The Executive Order adversely affects the States' residents in areas of employment, education, business, family relations, and freedom to travel. These harms extend to the States by virtue of their roles as parens patriae of the residents living within their borders. In addition, the States themselves are harmed by virtue of the damage that implementation of the Executive Order has inflicted upon the operations and missions of their public universities and other institutions of higher learning, as well as injury to the States' operations, tax bases and public funds.
On this basis, the court entered the TRO, and also applied it nationally, citing a 5th Circuit precedent (the Washington court sits in the 9th Circuit) referring to a "constitutional imperative" that immigration laws be applied uniformly across the country.  The order requires the parties to propose a briefing schedule on Monday, February 6th for a later hearing on a motion for preliminary injunction.

Perhaps the most important part of the court's ruling is its conclusion. There, Judge Robart emphasizes the importance of the principle of separation of powers, which creates the checks and balances that prevent one branch of government from becoming too powerful. Judge Robart, a President George W. Bush appointee, appears to subscribe to a conservative view of the limited role of the federal courts. He explains that the federal judiciary does not exist to set policy, which is a function of the legislative and executive branches, but rather to ensure "that the actions taken by the other two branches comport with our country's laws, and more importantly, our Constitution." He goes on to say: "The court concludes that the circumstances brought before it today are such that it must intervene to fulfill its constitutional role in our tripart government." This judge does not appear to be either a liberal or an activist (though I confess I have not researched his background). Rather, he appears to have a laudably balanced view of the judicial function, one that probably made him an attractive candidate for a federal judgeship when President Bush appointed him. Whatever one thinks of the executive order, that such a judge would take seriously his sworn duty to scrutinize it in the face of a challenge to its constitutionality should be cause for celebration among all Americans, Republicans and Democrats alike.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eight Simple Words

During my junior year in high school, I sat in the back of our auditorium listening to our drama teacher, Ruth Bair, attempt to persuade a large group of students to try out for the school play.  With me, at least, she was successful.  I auditioned for a part in Archibald MacLeish's "JB," a modern day drama based on the Book of Job.  All I garnered that time was a walk-on part; better roles awaited me my senior year.  But Mrs. Bair's little speech was enough to get me in the game.  And the experience of  performing in the school plays was the highlight of my high school years. What she said that I remember is this:  "If you don't extend yourself, you haven't lived."  Some memory of biology class made me think that this was both literally and figuratively true, though I'm not sure about the literal part, and it's only the figurative that matters to me.  But through the years and decades that followed, whenever I was unsure about participatin

"The Upswing" and Our Problem with Masks

 I have begun reading the book "The Upswing" by Robert D. Putnam. In the first chapter, the author calls for balance in two vital yet conflicting characteristics of the American identity. Because these characteristics underlie our great national divide over the wearing of masks in a pandemic, I wanted to post the following insightful passage now: As Tocqueville rightly noted, in order for the American experiment to succeed, personal liberty must be fiercely protected, but also carefully balanced with a commitment to the common good. Individuals' freedom to pursue their own interests holds great promise, but relentlessly exercising that freedom at the expense of others has the power to unravel the very foundations of the society that guarantees it. I believe Mr. Putnam has captured the heart of what is afflicting us at this time of crisis; some Americans' fierce devotion to personal liberty as a supreme virtue, without regard to the collective good. I look forward to

Memorial Day 2016

I am not even close to worthy of the sacrifices our men and women in uniform have made to protect my freedoms. Nothing I have done in life begins to hold a candle to their service.  So let me begin by simply saying "thank you" to any of them who may read this post.  My country, my family and I are forever in your debt.  I cannot ever emphasize that enough. Although I never served in the military, I am a patriot.  I deeply love my country and what it stands for.   I proudly served a term as President to a bar association that launched a program to provide free legal advice to military veterans.  I recited the Pledge of Allegiance when I was admitted to the Massachusetts Bar, and repeated it every time I participated in admissions ceremonies for new lawyers.  I get teary-eyed when I think about the lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner as it is being performed and try to imagine the setting in which Francis Scott Key penned them.  My father served in the Army during World War II