Skip to main content

The Sport of Governing

I am a sports fan.  More accurately, I suppose, I am a Boston sports fan.  Over the last 35 years, I have gone to countless Red Sox and Celtics games.  I was at game 5 of the 1986 World Series (the one the Sox won at Fenway on a masterful performance by lefty Bruce Hurst, who for a fleeting moment during Game 6 was prematurely named series MVP), the bloody sock game of the 2004 ALCS, Game 2 of the World Series that year, and other notable contests.  I also witnessed first-hand the Celtics Game 7 victory over the Lakers to clinch the NBA championship in 1984, Bird's steal of Isaiah's inbound pass for a last-minute win against the Pistons in the 1987 Eastern Conference Finals, Tree Rollins biting Danny Ainge in a 1983 playoff melee, and many more exciting (and some not-so-exciting) games I attended through the Reggie Lewis, Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo eras of Celtics basketball.

Professional sports have changed, and the agent of change has been money.  Players who considered themselves lucky to make five figure salaries in the 1960s would be making millions on long-term contracts if they played today.  Television revenues fuel the fire.  As recently as the early 1980s, only select games were broadcast.  Now, for a price, we can watch virtually any game as it is broadcast and rebroadcast over cable networks and the Internet.  In a sport like baseball, where there is no salary cap, big market teams dominate small market teams, which allows money to have a strong influence on outcomes.  (Except it seems in 2014 - witness the poor performances of this year's Red Sox and Yankee teams, and the near-complete success of the Kansas City Royals.)  In some respects, money has poisoned the games, as some of the most successful players have used banned substances to enhance their performances, while some Division I football franchises have used money illicitly to attract future star players.  In sports, as in everything else, the love of money is indeed the root of all evil.

We, the consuming public, are passive participants in the sports industry, which depends on our collective addictions to the games.  With the rare exceptions of those who reach out to catch a baseball that would have been fielded (sorry Cubs fans), we cannot influence the outcomes, but can only sit back and cheer on our favorite teams.  If the cheering at the event is loud enough it can have an impact, but they are called spectator sports because, most of the time, we are mere spectators of events determined by the paid participants.

And all of this brings me to a question:  has our conditioning as sports spectators affected how we approach politics?  There are some obvious parallels.  We choose sides (usually Democrat or Republican), we cheer our teams on, we are happy when our side wins, and we are upset when our side loses.  Just as Celtics fans never wish for the best for the Lakers (we tend to chant "Beat LA" when we lose the playoffs to a team that moves on to face the Lakers in the finals), and Red Sox fans never cheer for the Yankees (except in 2001, after the planes hit), so many Democrats, it seems, never want to see Republicans succeed and vice-versa.  Mitch McConnell's famous comment at the beginning of President Obama's term that his number one priority was to make sure Obama failed demonstrates a preference for winning over governing.

Like sports, but to an even greater degree, politics have been spoiled by money.  The ill-advised Citizens United ruling has unleashed the power of unlimited, anonymous fundraising to shape the results of our elections.  The party with the most money (which, almost always, is the Republican party) wins, and the successful candidates are obligated to protect the interests of their generous donors.  Just as big market teams dominate in baseball, big money candidates often dominate in elections.  And just as with sports, television plays a central role.

Unwavering loyalty to a sports team is fine; in fact, it is admirable.  But baseball, basketball, football, and hockey are games.  Government is not a game; it is serious business.  On a local level, whom we choose to represent us affects our small communities.  On a national level, our choices affect the lives of millions.  Bad economic decisions can leave millions in poverty.  Bad international decisions can cost trillions of dollars and thousands of lives.  Bad environmental decisions can put our entire future at risk.

We Americans and the people we elect need to transcend partisan politics and find the common ground that will move our country, and the world, forward.  Government should not be a sport where one side wins and another loses.  Especially in these dangerous times, it needs to be a joint enterprise characterized by honest and temperate dialogue of decent people working together to achieve the best possible outcomes.  It's okay for our leaders to battle for the hearts of the electorate, but once they win, they need to stop fighting their opponents and start fighting for the common good.  And for that to happen, we voters need to make sure that we are not transposing our laudable passion for sports into the realm of government.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eight Simple Words

During my junior year in high school, I sat in the back of our auditorium listening to our drama teacher, Ruth Bair, attempt to persuade a large group of students to try out for the school play.  With me, at least, she was successful.  I auditioned for a part in Archibald MacLeish's "JB," a modern day drama based on the Book of Job.  All I garnered that time was a walk-on part; better roles awaited me my senior year.  But Mrs. Bair's little speech was enough to get me in the game.  And the experience of  performing in the school plays was the highlight of my high school years. What she said that I remember is this:  "If you don't extend yourself, you haven't lived."  Some memory of biology class made me think that this was both literally and figuratively true, though I'm not sure about the literal part, and it's only the figurative that matters to me.  But through the years and decades that followed, whenever I was unsure about participatin

"The Upswing" and Our Problem with Masks

 I have begun reading the book "The Upswing" by Robert D. Putnam. In the first chapter, the author calls for balance in two vital yet conflicting characteristics of the American identity. Because these characteristics underlie our great national divide over the wearing of masks in a pandemic, I wanted to post the following insightful passage now: As Tocqueville rightly noted, in order for the American experiment to succeed, personal liberty must be fiercely protected, but also carefully balanced with a commitment to the common good. Individuals' freedom to pursue their own interests holds great promise, but relentlessly exercising that freedom at the expense of others has the power to unravel the very foundations of the society that guarantees it. I believe Mr. Putnam has captured the heart of what is afflicting us at this time of crisis; some Americans' fierce devotion to personal liberty as a supreme virtue, without regard to the collective good. I look forward to

Memorial Day 2016

I am not even close to worthy of the sacrifices our men and women in uniform have made to protect my freedoms. Nothing I have done in life begins to hold a candle to their service.  So let me begin by simply saying "thank you" to any of them who may read this post.  My country, my family and I are forever in your debt.  I cannot ever emphasize that enough. Although I never served in the military, I am a patriot.  I deeply love my country and what it stands for.   I proudly served a term as President to a bar association that launched a program to provide free legal advice to military veterans.  I recited the Pledge of Allegiance when I was admitted to the Massachusetts Bar, and repeated it every time I participated in admissions ceremonies for new lawyers.  I get teary-eyed when I think about the lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner as it is being performed and try to imagine the setting in which Francis Scott Key penned them.  My father served in the Army during World War II