Skip to main content

Out With The New, In With The Old

It is hard to watch America and not wonder whether we have lost our way. The pivot many of us had hoped for did not occur, and now we know it never will. The electoral college victory at the end of 2016 (despite a 3,000,000 popular vote deficit) fueled racism and enabled hate. Truth is on trial on a daily, even hourly, basis, as are many of our most important institutions. The much reviled "administrative state" is being quietly dismantled, as agencies are now run by those who either are incompetent or among their chief antagonists. Reputable media, the bulwark of a free society, are under constant attack. Our chief law enforcement agency and the many dedicated career professionals who staff it have been unfairly derided as political hacks, as is the one man, an honorable member of the majority party, who is principally responsible for investigating insidious foreign involvement in our domestic affairs. One could be forgiven for concluding from this tumultuous year that the ends justify the means, that no personal attack is out of bounds, and that (to invoke a well known saying from the world of sports) winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.

But winning, for all its value, can sometimes come at too high a cost. For every winner there is a loser, and the losers in this case are not our foreign adversaries, but many of our own citizens. They are the approximately half of Puerto Ricans who are still without power three months after a hurricane's crushing blow. They are the children who are at risk of losing their healthcare, our black citizens who are threatened by a resurgence of violent racism by the most vile whites among us, and every one of us who relies on the government to protect our natural resources and our wallets from sheer avarice. If past is prologue, they also may soon include anyone below the top 1% whose modest wish is to enjoy a comfortable and reasonably healthy retirement. Outside our citizenry, the potential losers include the dreamers who, through no fault of their own, have lived in this country their entire lives and simply want to remain and have the opportunity to thrive in the only country they have ever known. Finally, looming over all of us is the growing short-term threat of annihilating conflagration and long-term threat of environmental catastrophe, from which all of us, our children and our grandchildren stand to suffer irreparable loss.

Of course, on many issues there is room for legitimate disagreement about what is best for our country, and I do not mean to disrespect the informed views of persons of good faith that are different from my own. Yet, just as some of the issues our nation faces take on greater importance, we seem to have lost the ability to air out those disagreements in a civil, thoughtful and productive manner. In 2017, like no other time, critical and fundamental policy is made on a partisan basis, without debate and behind closed doors. The give and take and compromise that are the hallmarks of democratic action now happen exclusively within party boundaries and not across the aisle. And our democratic institutions themselves face the existential threats of gerrymandering and foreign influence.

If ever there was a time to pivot, the time is now. And so I pray that 2018 will bring with it a new, bipartisan awakening of the American spirit. Let 2018 be the year that brings us to our senses and restores such traditional values as honesty, fairness, kindness and compassion in public life. Let us cling to that which our upbringings, whether secular or religious, have taught us is right and good and just. Let us place nation above party, principle above ambition, law above chaos, reason above anger, truth above falsity, hope above despair. Let those of us who are strong protect the weak, those of us who are healthy care for the sick, those of us who have resources support the poor, and those of us who are privileged stand up for the oppressed. Most of all, let 2018 be the year that we root out malice and division from all chambers of government, and welcome the goodwill, charity and unity to which our nation has always, if fitfully, aspired.

I wish for all of you a truly happy, peaceful and prosperous New Year.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eight Simple Words

During my junior year in high school, I sat in the back of our auditorium listening to our drama teacher, Ruth Bair, attempt to persuade a large group of students to try out for the school play.  With me, at least, she was successful.  I auditioned for a part in Archibald MacLeish's "JB," a modern day drama based on the Book of Job.  All I garnered that time was a walk-on part; better roles awaited me my senior year.  But Mrs. Bair's little speech was enough to get me in the game.  And the experience of  performing in the school plays was the highlight of my high school years. What she said that I remember is this:  "If you don't extend yourself, you haven't lived."  Some memory of biology class made me think that this was both literally and figuratively true, though I'm not sure about the literal part, and it's only the figurative that matters to me.  But through the years and decades that followed, whenever I was unsure about participatin

"The Upswing" and Our Problem with Masks

 I have begun reading the book "The Upswing" by Robert D. Putnam. In the first chapter, the author calls for balance in two vital yet conflicting characteristics of the American identity. Because these characteristics underlie our great national divide over the wearing of masks in a pandemic, I wanted to post the following insightful passage now: As Tocqueville rightly noted, in order for the American experiment to succeed, personal liberty must be fiercely protected, but also carefully balanced with a commitment to the common good. Individuals' freedom to pursue their own interests holds great promise, but relentlessly exercising that freedom at the expense of others has the power to unravel the very foundations of the society that guarantees it. I believe Mr. Putnam has captured the heart of what is afflicting us at this time of crisis; some Americans' fierce devotion to personal liberty as a supreme virtue, without regard to the collective good. I look forward to

Memorial Day 2016

I am not even close to worthy of the sacrifices our men and women in uniform have made to protect my freedoms. Nothing I have done in life begins to hold a candle to their service.  So let me begin by simply saying "thank you" to any of them who may read this post.  My country, my family and I are forever in your debt.  I cannot ever emphasize that enough. Although I never served in the military, I am a patriot.  I deeply love my country and what it stands for.   I proudly served a term as President to a bar association that launched a program to provide free legal advice to military veterans.  I recited the Pledge of Allegiance when I was admitted to the Massachusetts Bar, and repeated it every time I participated in admissions ceremonies for new lawyers.  I get teary-eyed when I think about the lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner as it is being performed and try to imagine the setting in which Francis Scott Key penned them.  My father served in the Army during World War II