Skip to main content

A Response to Trump

Since November 9th, millions of Americans have viewed the election of Donald Trump as cause for mourning. But for many others, the election was also a call to action. Not everyone is cut out to protest in the streets, but there are other, more conventional actions concerned citizens can take to prepare for and respond to the anticipated trials and tribulations.
  • Redouble charitable giving to worthy non-profits.  There are many organizations devoted to fighting hate crimes and promoting the enforcement of civil rights.  Some that come to mind are the Southern Poverty Law Center, the ACLU, and the Anti-Defamation League, but there are many more.  Since the election, many people have been giving to Planned Parenthood, which has been threatened with a loss of federal funding, and there are certainly environmental organizations and other institutions that support the poor and help the victims of violence and oppression. 
  • Support politicians who support your values.  Two years ago, I was privileged to serve on the finance committee for the campaign of Maura Healey, who was elected Attorney General for Massachusetts. This year, I am renewing my support for her. AG Healey is a strong advocate for civil rights and will enforce Massachusetts' civil rights laws. As a new wave of harassment and hate crimes emerged post-election, she promptly set up a hotline for reporting such incidents, and is committed to prosecuting those who prey on our most vulnerable citizens. No doubt there are many other political leaders who  are prepared to stand up to the new administration and to his most uncivil supporters. And there are dedicated and worthy public servants prepared to run for political office in 2018 and 2020. 
  • Support education. One of the most effective and constructive ways to move America forward is to support education. A solid education is a strong antidote to politicians and political leaders who exploit ignorance. The new administration is not going to be pro-education, so supporting institutions of higher education and advocating for public education is of the utmost urgency.
  • Volunteer. As Michelle Obama so eloquently said at the Democratic National Convention, "when they go low, we go high." Volunteer service to those in need, and especially to those most likely to suffer from the policies and practices of the new administration, is critically important, and can take many forms. Whether in large or small ways, each of us can do our part to care for those in need and support the values that we hold dear.
  • Be kind.  One of the worst characteristics of the campaign was its purposeful exploitation of hate. The most effective response to hate is love, and the best response to mean-spiritedness is kindness. We all have many opportunities to be kinder to those around us, and especially to the outcasts of our society. Small, daily acts of kindness can make life much more tolerable for those most at risk from the coming change. And larger, self-sacrificial acts of kindness are an appropriate response when those around us fall victim to injustice and hate-mongering.
  • Champion truth. As I said in an earlier post, one of the greatest casualties of the recent campaign was truth. Like never before, America is at risk of entering a new era of Orwellian newspeak, where bad is good, darkness is light, hate is love, and death is life. We all need to be vigilant champions of truth in this new era. It will be easy to be lulled into accepting the false security of propaganda. We mustn't let it happen. The gift of discernment has never been more important than it will be in 2017, and standing up for truth will be vital to our democracy.
  • Preserve the rule of law. Our best protection against tyranny is law. Just as we must be vigilant in championing truth, we must be vigilant in protecting the rule of law. When politicians break the law, or seek to change laws that they find inconvenient, we need to let our voices be heard. Be prepared to call your representatives to urge them to defend the rule of law if and when it comes under attack.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eight Simple Words

During my junior year in high school, I sat in the back of our auditorium listening to our drama teacher, Ruth Bair, attempt to persuade a large group of students to try out for the school play.  With me, at least, she was successful.  I auditioned for a part in Archibald MacLeish's "JB," a modern day drama based on the Book of Job.  All I garnered that time was a walk-on part; better roles awaited me my senior year.  But Mrs. Bair's little speech was enough to get me in the game.  And the experience of  performing in the school plays was the highlight of my high school years. What she said that I remember is this:  "If you don't extend yourself, you haven't lived."  Some memory of biology class made me think that this was both literally and figuratively true, though I'm not sure about the literal part, and it's only the figurative that matters to me.  But through the years and decades that followed, whenever I was unsure about participatin

"The Upswing" and Our Problem with Masks

 I have begun reading the book "The Upswing" by Robert D. Putnam. In the first chapter, the author calls for balance in two vital yet conflicting characteristics of the American identity. Because these characteristics underlie our great national divide over the wearing of masks in a pandemic, I wanted to post the following insightful passage now: As Tocqueville rightly noted, in order for the American experiment to succeed, personal liberty must be fiercely protected, but also carefully balanced with a commitment to the common good. Individuals' freedom to pursue their own interests holds great promise, but relentlessly exercising that freedom at the expense of others has the power to unravel the very foundations of the society that guarantees it. I believe Mr. Putnam has captured the heart of what is afflicting us at this time of crisis; some Americans' fierce devotion to personal liberty as a supreme virtue, without regard to the collective good. I look forward to

Memorial Day 2016

I am not even close to worthy of the sacrifices our men and women in uniform have made to protect my freedoms. Nothing I have done in life begins to hold a candle to their service.  So let me begin by simply saying "thank you" to any of them who may read this post.  My country, my family and I are forever in your debt.  I cannot ever emphasize that enough. Although I never served in the military, I am a patriot.  I deeply love my country and what it stands for.   I proudly served a term as President to a bar association that launched a program to provide free legal advice to military veterans.  I recited the Pledge of Allegiance when I was admitted to the Massachusetts Bar, and repeated it every time I participated in admissions ceremonies for new lawyers.  I get teary-eyed when I think about the lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner as it is being performed and try to imagine the setting in which Francis Scott Key penned them.  My father served in the Army during World War II