Skip to main content

On Mortality

The farther I get in life's journey, the more I think about the impermanence of things.  I look out my front door and think of people who have walked through it over the years, my parents and friends who have died, children who have grown, parents of those children whom we haven't seen in years.  When my father passed away more than a decade ago, it finally hit me that death brings dissolution - as Shakespeare put it, our too, too solid flesh does indeed melt, thaw and resolve itself into a dew.  Everything we know and have known will someday disappear and be no more, including ourselves.  

Of necessity, I suppose, we tend to brush this realization aside, choosing instead to go on with our lives as if we will live forever, as if nothing really will change, focused on making our lives and the lives of our loved ones as secure as we can.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  To quote a man at least as wise as Shakespeare, we choose to "eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may die."  

But when we pause to remember our own finitude, we are confronted by these questions:  What matters, after all?  What lasts after we are gone?  What will be my legacy?  What difference can my life make to eternity?

The film "The Monuments Men" touches on some of these questions.  The experts in art and other disciplines who are dispatched to rescue stolen art treasures from the retreating Nazis do so because the art represents the history of civilization, the identity of peoples.  They are asked whether saving the works of masters like Michelangelo, Rembrandt, and Renoir is worth the loss of human life that will inevitably befall their mission, and they answer that it is.  There are things that matter more than an individual's survival, things bigger than ourselves. 

In times of national crisis, we tend to pull together and sacrifice for the greater good.  That is what the greatest generation did during World War II, and it is what another generation did after 9/11.  One such person was a former associate of mine who left the practice of law after 9/11 to join the Coast Guard, out of a sense of duty to his country.  I learned last week of his recent, untimely death (by natural causes), and it saddens me to know that we have lost such a noble spirit from our midst.  But I have to believe that his service, like the service of so many others, made our country safer, and in that significant way will have a lasting impact.

At other times, though, it is easy to lose our way, dwelling far more on our individual concerns than on the greater good.  One downside to our society's rugged individualism is that we lose sight of our communal selves, of the part we play in the collective drama of humanity.  I sometimes obsess about my own mortality because I forget that I am just a small cell in a vast, more important organism, and that when I am gone the organism will continue and, hopefully, progress.  

And so the question I confront now is:  How can I contribute to that progress?  Some people contribute in large ways - Presidents, scientists, inventors, poets, astronauts, soldiers and the many other heroes of our culture.  Others contribute in small but equally important ways - by raising good children, through charitable work, or simply by being kind to their neighbors.  Their random and not-so-random acts of kindness help to perpetuate the kind of world they want to live in, and the kind of world they want to leave to their children and their children's children.  It is a way of keeping the spirit of humanity alive across the ages.

The best people I know are people of faith, whether faith in God, faith in humanity, faith in commonly revered principles like justice and equality, or faith in the power of love.  In all cases, they recognize that there are eternal values that transcend their own lives, and they dedicate their lives to the service of those values.  Their legacy will be a world that is better off because they lived.  And therein lies their immortality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eight Simple Words

During my junior year in high school, I sat in the back of our auditorium listening to our drama teacher, Ruth Bair, attempt to persuade a large group of students to try out for the school play.  With me, at least, she was successful.  I auditioned for a part in Archibald MacLeish's "JB," a modern day drama based on the Book of Job.  All I garnered that time was a walk-on part; better roles awaited me my senior year.  But Mrs. Bair's little speech was enough to get me in the game.  And the experience of  performing in the school plays was the highlight of my high school years. What she said that I remember is this:  "If you don't extend yourself, you haven't lived."  Some memory of biology class made me think that this was both literally and figuratively true, though I'm not sure about the literal part, and it's only the figurative that matters to me.  But through the years and decades that followed, whenever I was unsure about participatin

"The Upswing" and Our Problem with Masks

 I have begun reading the book "The Upswing" by Robert D. Putnam. In the first chapter, the author calls for balance in two vital yet conflicting characteristics of the American identity. Because these characteristics underlie our great national divide over the wearing of masks in a pandemic, I wanted to post the following insightful passage now: As Tocqueville rightly noted, in order for the American experiment to succeed, personal liberty must be fiercely protected, but also carefully balanced with a commitment to the common good. Individuals' freedom to pursue their own interests holds great promise, but relentlessly exercising that freedom at the expense of others has the power to unravel the very foundations of the society that guarantees it. I believe Mr. Putnam has captured the heart of what is afflicting us at this time of crisis; some Americans' fierce devotion to personal liberty as a supreme virtue, without regard to the collective good. I look forward to

Memorial Day 2016

I am not even close to worthy of the sacrifices our men and women in uniform have made to protect my freedoms. Nothing I have done in life begins to hold a candle to their service.  So let me begin by simply saying "thank you" to any of them who may read this post.  My country, my family and I are forever in your debt.  I cannot ever emphasize that enough. Although I never served in the military, I am a patriot.  I deeply love my country and what it stands for.   I proudly served a term as President to a bar association that launched a program to provide free legal advice to military veterans.  I recited the Pledge of Allegiance when I was admitted to the Massachusetts Bar, and repeated it every time I participated in admissions ceremonies for new lawyers.  I get teary-eyed when I think about the lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner as it is being performed and try to imagine the setting in which Francis Scott Key penned them.  My father served in the Army during World War II