Skip to main content

Class Actions Make Strange Bedfellows

I have often said that class actions make strange bedfellows.  I had my first personal experience of this phenomenon 11 years ago, when I appeared at a six-day, evidentiary fairness hearing involving a proposed limited fund class settlement (months before the Supreme Court decided Ortiz v. Fibreboard).  I was there on behalf of a group of defendants to present objections to the settlement that would have allowed a co-defendant to avoid any third-party contribution claims.  One group of plaintiffs' lawyers also objected to the settlement negotiated by a different plaintiff group, and led the charge throughout the hearings.  Although I cross-examined one witness, I mostly watched the evidence come in and saved my piece for closing argument.  The hearing had not gone very well for either group of plaintiffs, but it seemed likely that the judge would approve the settlement that was being proposed.  After the evidence was in, the court heard oral argument, and I argued last.  My clients happened to have a very strong case for opposing the settlement, and my argument went well.  When I was done, the court adjourned, and I stepped out of the courtroom into the corridor, only to be greeted by some jubilant, back-slapping lawyers from the plaintiff objector group.  They pulled me into their circle as if I had just hit the game winning home run for their baseball team, smiling, shaking my hand, and thanking me profusely.  I thought I had stepped into another dimension, or was having a bizarre dream, but I enjoyed the moment and accepted the accolades from my new friends, and ultimately the settlement that we all had objected to was disapproved.

I was reminded of the "strange bedfellows" paradigm today when I re-read the Supreme Court's March 31st decision in Shady Grove Orthopedic Associates, P.A. v. Allstate Ins. Co.  In that case, a five-justice majority held that a claim under New York state law that could not be brought as a class action in a New York state court could be maintained as a class action in federal court.  Justice Scalia, who authored the majority opinion, found that New York's class action statute, which precludes the maintenance of a class action for statutory penalties, conflicts with the requirements of Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 23 for the maintenance of a class action, and that the federal procedural rule trumps the state law.  Justice Ginsburg authored a dissenting opinion joined by three other Justices, in which she concluded that the federal rule does not conflict with the state law because the two provisions address different issues.  Citing the legislative history for the state enactment, Justice Ginsburg found that the New York legislature's intent in enacting the limitation on class actions was to avoid severely magnifying defendants' exposure and creating a risk of annihilating damages in cases in which penalties had been established for individual claims.  Justice Scalia was not convinced by the legislative history, and concluded, in any event, that the text of the statute controls.  Justice Ginsburg also pointed out the irony that the case was in federal court, and was therefore able to proceed as a class action under the majority's ruling, only because of the expansion of diversity jurisdiction under the Class Action Fairness Act, an Act that Congress intended "to check what it considered to be the overreadiness of some state courts to certify class actions."

Now here is where the "strange bedfellows" part comes in.  The two parts of Justice Scalia's opinion that became the decision of the Court were joined by Chief Justice Roberts and Justices Stevens, Thomas and Sotomayor.  (Justice Stevens also authored a separate concurring opinion.)  Justice Ginsburg's dissent was joined by Justices Kennedy, Breyer and Alito.  This is not your ordinary Supreme Court split, as Justices Stevens and Sotomayor lined up with three conservative Justices, and Justice Alito lined up with two liberal Justices and Justice Kennedy.  In addition, three conservatives voted against the enforcement of a state law and for the maintenance of a class action, and three liberals voted to enforce the state law and against the maintenance of a class action.

This is just one of many reasons I love what I do as a class action defense lawyer.  Just when I think I've seen it all, something new happens to amaze.  The last chapter on this issue might not be written, as the make-up of the Court is about to change, but for now Shady Grove stands as further evidence of the shifting alliances that can form in the wonderful world of class actions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eight Simple Words

During my junior year in high school, I sat in the back of our auditorium listening to our drama teacher, Ruth Bair, attempt to persuade a large group of students to try out for the school play.  With me, at least, she was successful.  I auditioned for a part in Archibald MacLeish's "JB," a modern day drama based on the Book of Job.  All I garnered that time was a walk-on part; better roles awaited me my senior year.  But Mrs. Bair's little speech was enough to get me in the game.  And the experience of  performing in the school plays was the highlight of my high school years. What she said that I remember is this:  "If you don't extend yourself, you haven't lived."  Some memory of biology class made me think that this was both literally and figuratively true, though I'm not sure about the literal part, and it's only the figurative that matters to me.  But through the years and decades that followed, whenever I was unsure about participatin

"The Upswing" and Our Problem with Masks

 I have begun reading the book "The Upswing" by Robert D. Putnam. In the first chapter, the author calls for balance in two vital yet conflicting characteristics of the American identity. Because these characteristics underlie our great national divide over the wearing of masks in a pandemic, I wanted to post the following insightful passage now: As Tocqueville rightly noted, in order for the American experiment to succeed, personal liberty must be fiercely protected, but also carefully balanced with a commitment to the common good. Individuals' freedom to pursue their own interests holds great promise, but relentlessly exercising that freedom at the expense of others has the power to unravel the very foundations of the society that guarantees it. I believe Mr. Putnam has captured the heart of what is afflicting us at this time of crisis; some Americans' fierce devotion to personal liberty as a supreme virtue, without regard to the collective good. I look forward to

Memorial Day 2016

I am not even close to worthy of the sacrifices our men and women in uniform have made to protect my freedoms. Nothing I have done in life begins to hold a candle to their service.  So let me begin by simply saying "thank you" to any of them who may read this post.  My country, my family and I are forever in your debt.  I cannot ever emphasize that enough. Although I never served in the military, I am a patriot.  I deeply love my country and what it stands for.   I proudly served a term as President to a bar association that launched a program to provide free legal advice to military veterans.  I recited the Pledge of Allegiance when I was admitted to the Massachusetts Bar, and repeated it every time I participated in admissions ceremonies for new lawyers.  I get teary-eyed when I think about the lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner as it is being performed and try to imagine the setting in which Francis Scott Key penned them.  My father served in the Army during World War II