Skip to main content

Of Lawyers, Money and Happiness

It is quite an event when the person responsible for our nation's, and much of the world's, money supply tells us that money isn't everything.  Ben Bernanke did just that in his commencement address on May 8th to the University of South Carolina class of 2010.  How does such a speech go so unnoticed?

The idea that money can't buy happiness is not new, of course.  As a die-hard Beatles fan in my formative years, I memorized the lyrics to "Can't Buy Me Love" (and just about every other Beatles song before "I Am the Walrus").  Ironically, Hollywood film makers have made fortunes building movies around this theme.  And how many times have we misquoted the Biblical phrase, "money is the root of all evil."  The full phrase in English is:  "The love of money is the root of all evil," a condemnation of greed, not wealth.  Haven't we seen that admonition play out repeatedly in our time, from Milken to Madoff, from organized crime to criminally negligent corporations?

There are many reasons people decide to become lawyers.  In the '60s and early '70s, plenty of young people influenced by the anti-war movement and the social revolution went to law school because they wanted to make a difference in the world.  Even today, the profession attracts people who want to use their degrees to serve the poor.  Most people who choose a legal career are motivated by a desire to make a good living in a challenging, respectable and interesting profession.  Some even hope to strike it rich.

All of these goals are more difficult to achieve today.  Funding for legal services for the poor has been dramatically reduced by state budget cuts and diminishing IOLTA revenues (interest earned on lawyers' escrow accounts and used to help fund legal service organizations).  As a result, there are fewer legal services jobs available.  Corporations have smaller legal budgets and are being more careful how they spend them, which has sent seismic jolts in major law firms, resulting in large numbers of layoffs and placing severe strain on lawyers' compensation.  While a small percentage of lawyers will still get rich, even the size of this elite group is likely to diminish.  Perhaps the greatest challenge facing our profession today is redefining the career path for recent law school graduates who are most vulnerable and most affected by these changes.  This latter issue is one I hope to better understand as a soon-to-be Bar President, and that I will likely write about in future posts.

For now, however, the burning question is this:  Will all these changes cause lawyers and law firms to re-calibrate their priorities?  Much of our profession is captive to the metrics of "The American Lawyer" magazine, which places a great deal of emphasis on revenues per lawyer, profits per partner, and most recently, average compensation for all partners (equity and non-equity combined).  Many lawyers measure their own success by where they stand in these rankings.  But if Bernanke and the social scientists he relies on are right, while these standards may serve as useful measures of lawyers' economic success, they may bear little correlation to the ultimate goal of personal happiness and career satisfaction.  And while it is reasonable for all of us to strive in our careers for financial success and security, we would do well to recognize that there is more to being a lawyer than billing hours and collecting money, and more to achieving happiness than amassing wealth.

Where can we find the non-monetary rewards of life?  There is no one-size-fits-all solution; we each have to answer that question for ourselves.  Perhaps the most universal answer is to surround ourselves in the love of family and friends, and to make time for the hobbies and pursuits we each enjoy.  Beyond that, there is the rewarding experience of serving others in pro bono settings, the camaraderie and important activities of the organized bar and other worthy organizations, and the satisfaction of devoting oneself to the highest standards of excellence in the quality of one's work and the provision of service to one's clients.  Such pursuits can truly be liberating, freeing us from the tyranny of the billable hour and the profit-above-all-else mentality, and awakening us to a world of previously unimagined possibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eight Simple Words

During my junior year in high school, I sat in the back of our auditorium listening to our drama teacher, Ruth Bair, attempt to persuade a large group of students to try out for the school play.  With me, at least, she was successful.  I auditioned for a part in Archibald MacLeish's "JB," a modern day drama based on the Book of Job.  All I garnered that time was a walk-on part; better roles awaited me my senior year.  But Mrs. Bair's little speech was enough to get me in the game.  And the experience of  performing in the school plays was the highlight of my high school years. What she said that I remember is this:  "If you don't extend yourself, you haven't lived."  Some memory of biology class made me think that this was both literally and figuratively true, though I'm not sure about the literal part, and it's only the figurative that matters to me.  But through the years and decades that followed, whenever I was unsure about participatin

"The Upswing" and Our Problem with Masks

 I have begun reading the book "The Upswing" by Robert D. Putnam. In the first chapter, the author calls for balance in two vital yet conflicting characteristics of the American identity. Because these characteristics underlie our great national divide over the wearing of masks in a pandemic, I wanted to post the following insightful passage now: As Tocqueville rightly noted, in order for the American experiment to succeed, personal liberty must be fiercely protected, but also carefully balanced with a commitment to the common good. Individuals' freedom to pursue their own interests holds great promise, but relentlessly exercising that freedom at the expense of others has the power to unravel the very foundations of the society that guarantees it. I believe Mr. Putnam has captured the heart of what is afflicting us at this time of crisis; some Americans' fierce devotion to personal liberty as a supreme virtue, without regard to the collective good. I look forward to

Memorial Day 2016

I am not even close to worthy of the sacrifices our men and women in uniform have made to protect my freedoms. Nothing I have done in life begins to hold a candle to their service.  So let me begin by simply saying "thank you" to any of them who may read this post.  My country, my family and I are forever in your debt.  I cannot ever emphasize that enough. Although I never served in the military, I am a patriot.  I deeply love my country and what it stands for.   I proudly served a term as President to a bar association that launched a program to provide free legal advice to military veterans.  I recited the Pledge of Allegiance when I was admitted to the Massachusetts Bar, and repeated it every time I participated in admissions ceremonies for new lawyers.  I get teary-eyed when I think about the lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner as it is being performed and try to imagine the setting in which Francis Scott Key penned them.  My father served in the Army during World War II