Skip to main content

The American People

Today I read yet another account of a politician telling me what the American people want or, in this case, don't want.  The "don't want" du jour is a Supreme Court justice who believes that the Constitution is subject to judicial interpretation.  A couple of weeks ago, the American people did not want health care reform.  Last year, they didn't want a public option.  I'm sure if I had time to research the issue, I could come up with a long list of public programs and policies that the American people don't want, and maybe even some that they do want.  And this I know, for politicians tell me so.

In fairness, Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama worded his diatribe about constitutional interpretation, quoted in the Huffington Post, more carefully than I have presented it here.  In fact, the exact quote is:

"If we have a nominee that evidences a philosophy of judges know best, that they can amend the Constitution by saying it has evolved, and effectuate agendas, then we're going to have a big fight about that because the American people don't want that," Sessions said.
Put this way, it's hard to disagree.  But I don't think anyone who subscribes to the belief that it is the province of the judiciary to interpret the Constitution, embedded in our jurisprudence for more than 200 years (thanks to a little decision rendered by Chief Justice John Marshall in 1803 known as "Marbury v. Madison"), would put it this way.  Sessions was demonizing a legitimate philosophy of judicial interpretation by characterizing it in the most extreme and unacceptable terms, and then telling us what few would argue with:  that we, or at least most of us, don't want judges who would manipulate the Constitution in order to advance a political agenda.

But more troubling than his assault on mainstream judicial philosophy is Sessions' presumptuousness in speaking for the American people.  On what authority does he base his conclusions about what the American people think?  And who are these American people for whom he presumes to speak?  Are they only members of the political right wing?  Do they include both Rush Limbaugh's listeners and Al Franken's supporters?  Do they include women?  Do they include blacks and hispanics?  Do they include Catholics and Jews, Hindus and Muslims?  Do they include gays and lesbians?  Do they include legal immigrants?  Do they include both rich and poor, the powerful and the oppressed, the healthy and the sick, the sheltered and the homeless?  Somehow I suspect that Sessions' "America" is smaller and more monolithic than mine, although I am certainly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  But still, I want to know who these American people are that he is referring to  before I'm willing to accept that he knows what they want.  And then I want to know how he knows it.

I don't mean to pick only on the Senator from Alabama.  He is simply the latest example in a string of examples of politicians from both parties purporting to divine the will of the American people.  John Boehner did it with healthcare reform.  I even recall cringing recently when either President Obama or Vice President Biden let the phrase "the American people don't want . . . " slip into a television interview.  (I'm sorry, I don't recall the specifics, I just remember my disappointment.)  What they are really saying is not that the American people want or don't want the thing that is being discussed, whatever it happens to be at the time.  What they are saying is "I don't want it, my party doesn't want it, anyone who is right thinking doesn't want it, and anyone who wants it isn't a true American and doesn't count anyway."  And even more invidiously, they are saying "you had better agree with me or you are not fit to be counted among your countrymen."  (I use the word "countrymen" here as inclusive of women, and because I can't think of a synonym that has the same poetic ring to it.)  In the end, the phrase not only misleads the listener, but worse, is offensive and exclusionary.

So here is my plea to our leaders in government and those who would join them.  Please don't tell me what "the American people" want or don't want.  If you do, you had better be prepared to define your terms, and to back up your statement with evidence.

Wouldn't it be nice if the media started challenging politicians who so cavalierly throw this phrase around, and began holding them to this higher standard?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eight Simple Words

During my junior year in high school, I sat in the back of our auditorium listening to our drama teacher, Ruth Bair, attempt to persuade a large group of students to try out for the school play.  With me, at least, she was successful.  I auditioned for a part in Archibald MacLeish's "JB," a modern day drama based on the Book of Job.  All I garnered that time was a walk-on part; better roles awaited me my senior year.  But Mrs. Bair's little speech was enough to get me in the game.  And the experience of  performing in the school plays was the highlight of my high school years. What she said that I remember is this:  "If you don't extend yourself, you haven't lived."  Some memory of biology class made me think that this was both literally and figuratively true, though I'm not sure about the literal part, and it's only the figurative that matters to me.  But through the years and decades that followed, whenever I was unsure about participatin

"The Upswing" and Our Problem with Masks

 I have begun reading the book "The Upswing" by Robert D. Putnam. In the first chapter, the author calls for balance in two vital yet conflicting characteristics of the American identity. Because these characteristics underlie our great national divide over the wearing of masks in a pandemic, I wanted to post the following insightful passage now: As Tocqueville rightly noted, in order for the American experiment to succeed, personal liberty must be fiercely protected, but also carefully balanced with a commitment to the common good. Individuals' freedom to pursue their own interests holds great promise, but relentlessly exercising that freedom at the expense of others has the power to unravel the very foundations of the society that guarantees it. I believe Mr. Putnam has captured the heart of what is afflicting us at this time of crisis; some Americans' fierce devotion to personal liberty as a supreme virtue, without regard to the collective good. I look forward to

Memorial Day 2016

I am not even close to worthy of the sacrifices our men and women in uniform have made to protect my freedoms. Nothing I have done in life begins to hold a candle to their service.  So let me begin by simply saying "thank you" to any of them who may read this post.  My country, my family and I are forever in your debt.  I cannot ever emphasize that enough. Although I never served in the military, I am a patriot.  I deeply love my country and what it stands for.   I proudly served a term as President to a bar association that launched a program to provide free legal advice to military veterans.  I recited the Pledge of Allegiance when I was admitted to the Massachusetts Bar, and repeated it every time I participated in admissions ceremonies for new lawyers.  I get teary-eyed when I think about the lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner as it is being performed and try to imagine the setting in which Francis Scott Key penned them.  My father served in the Army during World War II