Skip to main content

Basketball Lessons

When I moved to Boston after graduating law school in 1979, I knew very little about basketball.  For me, at the time, the only sport worth watching was baseball, and I quickly became a fan of the Boston Red Sox.  It wasn't long, however, before I started to take notice of the Bird-era Celtics teams.  My first real exposure to the Celtics came in June of 1981.  I worked near City Hall Plaza, and decided to wander out to see the Celtics Championship celebration on the steps of City Hall.  The Plaza was packed with fans going wild as the Celtics players arrived at City Hall.  One of the fans held a placard commenting on the dietary habits of Moses Malone, who had made disparaging remarks about the Celtics at the beginning of the Finals.  Larry Bird, seeing the sign, voiced agreement with the comments, the crowd cheered, and I had a new sports hero.  (I was still young enough to consider sports stars heroes in 1981).

The next season I had the opportunity to buy into a share of season tickets with some of the lawyers I worked with.  I decided to do it, and haven't looked back since.  (Despite some pretty awful Celtics teams after the Bird era, I now have my own half-season tickets and am not ready to let go yet.)  During the old Boston Garden era, our seats were in the upper rows of the balcony, about as far away from the action as you could get.  But the team was so exciting in those years that it almost didn't matter where your seats were.  My wife and I went to several games each year, and had the good fortune of being there for Game 7 of the 1984 Finals.  (The game was played on our second wedding anniversary; my wife was, and still is, a very good sport.  I took her to dinner in the North End before the game, and we had a table near Bill Walton, who was not yet a member of the Celtics, but who must have been thinking about it at the time.)  We also were at the game later in the decade, when Bird stole the inbound pass from Isiah Thomas in the final five seconds of the game, and handed it off to Dennis Johnson, who scored the winning basket.  I thought, and I supposed everyone around me thought, that the game was over when Detroit had possession and the lead with five seconds left in the game.  I guess no one bothered to tell Bird or DJ.  It was the most amazing play I've ever seen in decades of watching live NBA and MBL games.  I was even more amazed when Bird explained afterwards that once he stole the ball, he started counting down from five and dished to DJ when he got to three.  Talk about presence of mind.

What I found most interesting in those years was watching the team turn on the gas at will when needed to get ahead of their opponents.  And Bird was always amazing.  He always gave 100%, never let down, and pushed himself and his team past the point of exhaustion whenever necessary.  He was positively Churchillian.  (Never give up, never surrender!)

Watching the Bird-era Celtics was inspiring for a young litigator.  I worked a lot of late nights and weekends in those days, and if I got tired or wanted to quit for the day, I'd think about how a champion does not let up, but is able to summon his last ounce of energy to make that final play or, in my case, to read just one more decision or document that would give me the extra edge to win in court the next day.  This sounds corny, but Bird really did inspire me to push myself in my own professional pursuits.

And now I'm finding inspiration in basketball again, this time in the pages of Bill Simmons' "The Book of Basketball."  In the first chapter of the book, he talks about what makes a winning team.  He writes:
Those teams were loaded with talented players, yes, but that's not the only reason they won.    They won because they liked each other, knew their roles, ignored statistics, and valued winning over everything else.  They won because their best players sacrificed to make everyone else happy.  They won as long as everyone remained on the same page.  By that same token, they lost if any of those three factors weren't in place.
"The Book of Basketball," p. 40.

Can't this lesson of success in basketball apply to any organization?  Doesn't the success of any enterprise, whether it's a for-profit business or a nonprofit institution, depend at least in part on the same team ethic and selflessness that characterizes a championship basketball team?  Aren't these rhetorical questions?  They are, because the answer is obvious.  And this lesson taken from the basketball court applies to any law firm worth its salt.  The more the individual lawyers within a firm learn to like each other and subdue their own, personal, selfish ambitions for the good of the organization and its members, the more that organization will succeed, to the benefit of all of its constituencies (clients, partners, associates, and staff).  Subordination of individual agendas for the greater good is the hallmark of champions.  It's a slam dunk.

And, as long as I can draw life lessons from basketball, I suppose I can continue to justify the outrageous cost of the season tickets.  Which I mention in case my wife is reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eight Simple Words

During my junior year in high school, I sat in the back of our auditorium listening to our drama teacher, Ruth Bair, attempt to persuade a large group of students to try out for the school play.  With me, at least, she was successful.  I auditioned for a part in Archibald MacLeish's "JB," a modern day drama based on the Book of Job.  All I garnered that time was a walk-on part; better roles awaited me my senior year.  But Mrs. Bair's little speech was enough to get me in the game.  And the experience of  performing in the school plays was the highlight of my high school years. What she said that I remember is this:  "If you don't extend yourself, you haven't lived."  Some memory of biology class made me think that this was both literally and figuratively true, though I'm not sure about the literal part, and it's only the figurative that matters to me.  But through the years and decades that followed, whenever I was unsure about participatin

"The Upswing" and Our Problem with Masks

 I have begun reading the book "The Upswing" by Robert D. Putnam. In the first chapter, the author calls for balance in two vital yet conflicting characteristics of the American identity. Because these characteristics underlie our great national divide over the wearing of masks in a pandemic, I wanted to post the following insightful passage now: As Tocqueville rightly noted, in order for the American experiment to succeed, personal liberty must be fiercely protected, but also carefully balanced with a commitment to the common good. Individuals' freedom to pursue their own interests holds great promise, but relentlessly exercising that freedom at the expense of others has the power to unravel the very foundations of the society that guarantees it. I believe Mr. Putnam has captured the heart of what is afflicting us at this time of crisis; some Americans' fierce devotion to personal liberty as a supreme virtue, without regard to the collective good. I look forward to

Memorial Day 2016

I am not even close to worthy of the sacrifices our men and women in uniform have made to protect my freedoms. Nothing I have done in life begins to hold a candle to their service.  So let me begin by simply saying "thank you" to any of them who may read this post.  My country, my family and I are forever in your debt.  I cannot ever emphasize that enough. Although I never served in the military, I am a patriot.  I deeply love my country and what it stands for.   I proudly served a term as President to a bar association that launched a program to provide free legal advice to military veterans.  I recited the Pledge of Allegiance when I was admitted to the Massachusetts Bar, and repeated it every time I participated in admissions ceremonies for new lawyers.  I get teary-eyed when I think about the lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner as it is being performed and try to imagine the setting in which Francis Scott Key penned them.  My father served in the Army during World War II